The first mention of the old Croatian castle in Severin na Kupi, a small village in Croatia, dates from 1558 when it was described as a “stone town” or a stone tower built on a cliff above the Kupa River.
Nowadays, the Croatian castle is in a very bad condition, and most of the interior is damaged and devastated.
It is a single-story rectangular building with an inner courtyard and arched corridors and cylindrical turreted towers. The Chapel of Saint Florian, the protector of firefighters, is located within the castle complex, in the beautiful garden which has been declared as a monument of landscape architecture.
According to historical records, the Croatian castle was built by the noble Frankopan family who had many other properties and castles in Croatia in their ownership.
The Frankopan family was one of the leading Croatian aristocratic families from the 12th to the 17th century. Along with the members of the Zrinski family, the Frankopan ranked high in terms of importance by virtue of power, wealth, fame, glory and role in Croatian and Hungarian history. The Frankopan family was persecuted after the Zrinski-Frankopan conspiracy, where the Count Fran Krsto Frankopan participated in an uprising against Habsburg King Leopold I. He and his brother-in-law, Petar Zrinski was executed.
The castle was in the possession of Frakopan until the fall of the Zrinski-Frankopan family in 1671. after which the entire property was plundered.
First, Severin came under Hungarian and then under Austrian rule. In 1682 King Leopold granted Severin to Count Ivan Franjo Oršić. The Oršić family remodeled the castle in 1803, giving it its present appearance.
After Oršić, the castle is bought by the prominent Ambroz Vranyczany, during whose time Severin became the main gathering place for patriots.
Vranyczany family is an old Croatian noble family that has migrated from Bosnia. Generations and generations of this family supported the arts and libraries, donated for academic purposes and financially supported several national institutions. Some members of this family are remembered for their political and economic influence, engagement in social activities, and construction of many beautiful palaces across Croatia, and, of course, the city of Zagreb, capital of Croatia.
Before World War II the castle was owned by a wealthy Arko family from Zagreb, and after the war, it was nationalized. Since that time it has served as a catering facility, hotel, and headquarters of a voluntary local fire department. It also served as an administrative archive, and today it has fallen into oblivion and neglect.